Friday, March 4, 2011

Mum's kitchen











Jemima's homework this week was a restaurant review - see below..
MUMS KITCHEN


My mum’s kitchen is located at....
Every meal is served with a smile! All meals are served in the kitchen, it is a warm inviting kitchen with a small wooden table and a large white table in the dinning room. Hanging in the rooms around the tables are photos that my dad has shot, the theme of the photos in the kitchen are different foods from around the world. It makes the kitchen look more colourful and lively than before.
My mum cooks all different kinds of meals. The food she uses is only organic products from the store in Woollahra called Whole Foods. Michelle likes to use different recipes but occasionally makes up her own.
My favourite breakfast is blueberry porridge because it turns purple when it is cooked. A recipe for lunch is frittata because it is refreshing with a side of salad. My most recommended meals for dinner is lasagne and shepherds pie. These meals are bursting with flavour, colour and steam!
I highly recommend that everybody should try my mum’s food. Soon I hope there will be a cookbook so all her recipes can be shared!
                             

So I thought I'd share my blueberry porridge recipe in honour of Jemima's review!

step by step

Max, Mima and Wilco LOVE porridge, Frank and I don't! 
So going off this review I'm guessing my porridge is OK? 
Not that I would know, because I've never tasted it!


This recipe will serve 4 generously.

1½ cups of oats - soaked overnight in filtered water (aids digestion).

½ a punnet of blueberries - we go through a lot of blueberries in this house, but my kids do not like the squishy ones, so I keep the squishy ones in a bowl for porridge. (After all you can't waste organic blueberries).

Enough filtered water to cover the oats.
              
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.    
           
A pinch of vanilla powder or a couple of drops of vanilla extract.

Whole milk and maple syrup to serve.

Drain your oats in a sieve and pop into a saucepan.

Cover with filtered water, a couple of cm above the oats (you can always add more water if it gets to dry).

Put the blueberries in along with the cinnamon and vanilla.

And cook on a medium heat, stirring frequently.

Once ready (see pictures above), squish the blueberries with a fork and a spoon, so they burst and the porridge will become deliciously purple (my favourite colour), serve with a little milk and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Make sure if serving small people that the blueberries are all squished, nothing worse than a baby with a burnt mouth (Speaking from experience).

p.s Future restaurant reviewer in the making! Well done honey x
©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

No comments:

Post a Comment