Monday, December 5, 2011

In my kitchen magic doesn't happen unless there's chaos!

We have a one off Tasty Tuesday Tuckshop tomorrow and Kaye and I are making the Lemon cakes. And I was given the task of finding a recipe and tweaking it so that it was gluten free and as healthy as a cake can be.
Both of us had made batch after batch, but still hadn't nailed one. So I did what I do best, made a really big mess in my kitchen (Is the saying,"a good cook is a tidy cook"? Is that the saying babe?)anyway I can put all those tidy cooks to shame as I'm the single most messiest cook in the world! I work best when my kitchen is chaotic - though Max would probably disagree!
So I believe we have a winner Kaye!
I've done 50, any chance you could do the same?
Here's my recipe, my inspiration came from Sophie Dahl's Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights and Tessa Kiros' Apples for Jam and lemons!
You'll need:
to make 24 + 10 mini ones
6 eggs
pinch salt
2 cups of fine raw sugar
Zest and juice of 6 lemons
250g melted butter
1 1/2 cups of yogurt
2 cups of finest polenta 
2 cups of rice flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 cups icing sugar
How to make these babies:
Pre-heat oven to 180c
Whisk 6 eggs and a pinch of salt in your KitchenAid till they are tripled in volume - should take 10min
Add 2 cups of sugar slowly so the air doesn't come out of the eggs 
Then add your melted cooled butter very slowly
Followed by the juice and zest of 4 lemons and the 1 1/2 cups of whole yogurt
Once mixed well turn the mixer off and remove the bowl to fold in the flour
Fold in the flour and baking powder a little at a time till it is all well Incorporated
Put a tablespoon and a half in each case or you could bake it as a cake (not that I've tried it, but I'm sure it would work - just adjust the cooking time.
Bake them for 20 min depending on your oven
Let cool then ice them.

For the icing:
Mix 2 cups of icing sugar and the juice and zest of 2 lemons - the icing needs to be very thick like hard paste, so you may need to add more icing sugar or less lemon juice
1 teaspoon per cake is plenty and a little extra zest to garnish
There was no chance in hell I wasn't trying one - they look so good...OMG they're unbelievable! (if I do say so myself)
Whatever you do don't skimp on the Lemons, that's what makes these cakes so good, they're really Lemony.
Those kids are plain LUCKY!

©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

No comments:

Post a Comment