Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My take on fast food!




Last night the request for dinner in my house was Toasted Steak Sandwiches.
Easy. 
They are moorishly good and not something that we have very often(only when mum's feeling a little lazy)
And for once all my kids will eat the same thing - kind of!
You'll need:
1 fat piece of eye fillet - per 2 people
bread of your choice or roll 
Lettuce leaves
tomato
fried onions - 1 large onion sliced and fried
tomato sauce
mayonnaise
salt and pepper
How to cook the perfect minute steaks:
My friend Daniella gave me the tip off on slicing my eye fillet thin for this exact purpose. 
I will only feed my kids fillet as I'm terrified of them choking (maybe it comes from bad memories as a child having to eat fatty tough steak - I gag at the thought!) anyway this steak, I swear, will melt in your mouth! 
First put your fry pan on to heat up(on high).
Slice your steak into 1/2 cm slices and then I put each piece in between two pieces of plastic wrap and whack them once with a meat mallet(the flat side) just so they are around the same size and width.
Then I season, very well, both sides of the steaks.
Add a little olive oil to the searing hot pan and swivel it around so the pan is coated with the oil.
Depending on the size of your pan (do not over crowd the pan or your steaks will not caramelise) put either, 2 or 3 steaks on at once (your pan should be smoking hot).
Once you put them in the pan don't fiddle with them,leave them alone-do not touch.
When the blood starts coming to the surface it's time to flip (30sec should do it depending on the width of the steak and the heat of your pan) cook for the same time on the other side, then place on a warm plate and cover with foil - repeat and transfer to the same plate so that the steak rests before it's used and collects all the juices.
To assemble the sandwich:
Toast your bread lightly
I soaked one side,of one piece of toast in the meat juices
The other side I put:
Mayo
Tomato sauce
Fried onions
Steak
Tomato
Lettuce
And then popped the lid on and devoured it!
Frank being frank, ate hers simply with tomato sauce and a big bowl of salad on the side.
The rest of us ate the above creation and couldn't have been more satisfied.
Jemima made the leftover meat into a lettuce and tomato sandwich minus the bread.

As a special treat the kids had dessert(I know, mean nasty mother!)
They have dessert when friends are around.
Blueberries are in season - Yay! And mango's!!


Happiness all round and a relatively peaceful afternoon and evening.

©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

2 comments:

  1. I know what we are having for dinner tonight, thanks Mich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really not into cooking, but maybe I would try cooking this salad and let my friends taste it. I was glad that there are salad which are low in carbohydrate. I can say that I am a very health conscious person and these recipes would really help me to reach my goal, that is to live healthy.

    ReplyDelete