Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hungarian Fried Cabbage Pasta - Yum!




 This coming Saturday will be the start of single motherhood for moi,a whole 10 days - so don’t expect to hear much out of me. Max is off to Africa for work– can you believe it? Some people have all the luck – he says it’s not a holiday because he’s working, I say, 10 days away from the kids is a holiday!
l’ll miss you babe, especially at 6.30 every morning when our son wakes and I’m dragging my Lazy, grumpy butt out of bed to get him….Counting down the sleeps already!


Earlier today I was set the task of finding Max’s passport(if you’ve been to our house you’d know we’re very disorganised) while scourging around looking for it I stumbled across these beautiful albums that we had bought many moons ago, to put some of the hundreds of thousands of photo’s we have in - oh and the kids artwork!


They’d  been hiding out – in the bottom of my present cupboard. I decided enough was enough, it was time to fill those babies. So I  set myself a goal - fill one album, every two weeks until they are all done. 
I reckon I can do that?

Whilst doing that I’ll need something to eat?
So I made one of the easiest things I know and one of the most delicious.

Hungarian Fried Cabbage Pasta
I believe the story goes that this dish is a peasant dish. Pasta was always cheap or easy to make and cabbage was also very cheap and readily available.
This dish is moorish, it’s sweet and savoury and just plain comfort food at its easiest and best (my kind of food).
My Aunty salts her cabbage first to get rid of any excess water, I skip this step and it works just as well. Any pasta works well, but Aunty Marika always uses flat egg pasta and I found this one which is perfect.

Traditionally there is no cheese but I like to play around and the fontina (this is an italian cheese) and cabbage is a match made in heaven (throw in some crispy bacon and you’ll not be disappointed either!)
Jemima, Max and I fight over every last mouthful – I’m not letting Wilco try it yet for fear of having someone else to share with - greedy I know!
This is also delicious straight out of the fridge.


How to make it:
pre-heat your oven to 220c
Click to enlarge photo
cook in the oven for about 15min



Mix the two together

This is how much the cabbage cooks down - mix them together
Now add the fontina
This recipe is basic a child could make this very easily


©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

No comments:

Post a Comment