Friday, August 12, 2011

HEAVY!


Well yes I’m feeling a little heavy at the moment, back to walking everyday (Heather where are you????) my‘trunk’ is in need of an overhaul, big time!

Anyway, this post is not about my weight. Tonight is the ‘official’ screening of ‘Songs’ new film clip called ‘Heavy’ directed and written by Max (babe, I hope to god you didn’t write that song about me?).

Because I am a very sweet girlfriend and also because my friend Daniella is coming to the launch with me, I decided I’d cook my Osso Bucco for dinner (before the show).

                           
'Heavy' by Songs on Vimeo

Max is on one of his cleanses again which means this dish is perfect. Plus, the last time I cooked it Daniella was at our house for an after school Friday night dinner and I was trying to show off and I completely stuffed the polenta…so embarrassing to f@*# the polenta in front of an Italian.

I, of course had to show her that I’m not a complete dud when it comes to making oozingly good polenta, actually I’m pretty good (even if I do say so myself). Rochie will you vouch for me?
So tonight is the night. I needed to send Max off with a decent meal before he plays and we needed to eat too.

I feel confident in myself that I’ve held my head high and come back from the shame….yet again!

Osso Bucco my way.

Can I just say this is my 2nd attempt so I have changed a couple of things, so beware some of my photo’s might not be accurate as I photographed all of this (except the finished product and bones) the last time I cooked it.


You’ll need;

A tablespoon or 2 of flour, salt and pepper to start

4 large pieces of veal or beef Osso Bucco (organic or grass fed of course – goes without saying)
My veg is finely chopped in my photo's but in the one I just made I whizzed them in the food processor
The heart of a bunch of celery (leaves and all – see ingredients pic)
 

2 largeish carrots peeled
 

1 large onion (purple, brown or shallots, fine)
 

2-3 cloves of garlic (peeled)

A few sprigs of rosemary or sage

2 anchovies in olive oil

And 2 bay leaves

8 Roma tomatoes (any tomato will do) blanched in boiling water to remove skins and then de-seeded and chopped finely – you could also use tinned tomatoes or passata (which I did last time - but this one was better with fresh)

500g stock
1 glass of white wine

Butter
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Gremolata;
Parsley
1 garlic clove
The zest of one organic unwaxed lemon and a squeeze of the juice
Seasoning
Extra virgin olive oil

How I made the Osso Bucco this time.
Pre-heat your oven to 150c fan forced
I was a little time poor today so to make it easier for myself I put all my veg and rosemary in the food processor and blitzed till really fine

It worked a treat (in my opinion it was better than the last time where I chopped everything finely)
 

First dry your meat with paper towel and then coat with a mixture of plain flour salt and pepper


In a heavy based pan, brown off your veal in a little butter and oil till well caramelized on both sides

Set aside
 

If your pot has a few burnt bits on the bottom try and remove with paper towel, if this doesn’t work wash it. I like to keep as much of the bits from cooking the meat as possible, because at the end of the day it adds flavour – but saying that if it’s burnt it will spoil the dish – so your call.

Now add another drop of oil and fry off your veg mince until it smells cooked and delicious, along with your anchovies

Add your bay leaves and Osso Bucco back to the pan and make sure they are all flat and not over lapping

The wine goes in next, let this cook for a minute until the alcohol smell is gone

Then add the stock and tomatoes

I’m sure I don’t have to tell you to season, I like to season a little at every stage

Pop in your 150c pre-heated oven for 3-4 hours with the lid ajar

You will know when it’s cooked when the liquid has concentrated down and the meat will be super tender

To make my Gremolata;
Chop very finely the parsley, lemon zest and garlic
Then in a bowl mix in a little lemon juice, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil
 


Max ate his with a salad of rocket dressed with olive oil and raw apple cider vinegar – and he said I’d served him to much. 
Well babe you ate it all!
 

Daniella and I inhaled ours while trying to feed 5 children, 2 babysitters and 1 dog.

We had ours with wet polenta (cooked perfectly – phew!) and the Gremolata and lashing’s of grana (parmesan)
And Uncle Al, well you missed out – I’ll be sure to keep some aside for you the next time you stay over.
Great night all round!


 p.s Couldn't photograph our dinner because it was to dark - but it looked as good as it tasted!
*Also remember the only thing different with this recipe is that I used fresh tomatoes instead of tinned and I put all the veg in the food processor and blitzed till fine.
©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps
 'Songs' clip by Songs the band - Shot by the very talented 'Joshy washy wishy washy'
(Joshua Heath)

1 comment:

  1. Honey walking the Tan solo is not anywhere near as fun as doing Centennial with you!

    ReplyDelete