Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Nana salad

 
This salad came about from sheer laziness - sorry Nana, but that's the truth.
My in-laws recently spent a month in Sydney, which was a nice treat for my kids. And In their time here I cooked a few meals for them - one going down in the history books - Nana's words not mine.
 
"The best salad we've ever eaten!".
Maybe they were just really hungry? You know how things taste much better and are more memorable when your starving?
I had originally planned on making this salad and a broad bean,fresh pea, mint and pancetta salad - but as time started to creep up on me I just threw it all together(well arranged it)and hoped for the best.
And, did I have happy customers, or what!

So I've named this the 'Nana salad' in honour of you Glen, now you can make it for all your mates in New Zealand!
THE NANA SALAD
You'll need:
Either 1 bunch of larger Heirloom beetroots or 2 small bunches - steamed or baked in the oven then peeled and sliced finely
3 Heirloom tomatoes - different varieties - sliced the same width as the beets
Goats cheese - I use a chevre - crumbled
Activated walnuts and pecans - chopped or broken up roughly

Fresh broad beans - 1 paper bag full after being shelled, gives you roughly a small bowl full- then steam or boil them for a couple of minutes to remove the tough outer skin
The same amount of fresh peas - shelled and cooked for 2 or 3 minutes
150g of long flat pancetta( ask the deli to slice it thinly)- chopped up and fried till crispy
Fresh mint - torn
DRESSING:
Balsamic vinegar
 salt and pepper
Nolan's Rd Olive Oil
Shake well
As simple as that.
This is how I layered mine
Finally drizzle the dressing over the top and eat it solo or with slow roasted lamb leg or shoulder (falling off the bone),a piece of John Dory or Roast Chicken
Yumo!

And FYI I survived my operation and have to say the general anesthetic I was so afraid of, was actually quite nice and I'm now being waited on hand and foot and enjoying every minute (and it's even Max's birthday today!) 
Happy Birthday Babe, you are definitely the catch of the century!xx


©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

No comments:

Post a Comment