Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Berry Mountain farm - part 2




I said that most of my vegies would probably come home to Sydney with us....well I lied! On the last night I made my vegetable and chicken soup. Why lug all those vegies home when you can cook them in their prime!


You'll need:
A large heavy based pot
Tip: cut all vegies roughly the same size
1 large onion or a leek chopped finely
2 or 3 garlic cloves
small handful of rosemary - chopped very fine
2 carrots - diced small
2 small sweet potatoes (like in my photo) or 1 normal - diced small
small piece of pumpkin, skin removed and diced small
1 small head of broccoli - also chopped small - stalk and all
1/4 head of cauliflower - chopped small - stalk and all
the corn off two cobs (I used a tin of organic corn - because I was on holiday)
1/4 head of cabbage
2 bay leafs
2 chicken breasts
1/2 a cup of brown rice
a couple of good handfuls of Swiss card or spinach


To make my soup:

Melt a tablespoon of butter with a swig of olive oil and fry of your onion till it begins to colour

Then add your garlic, rosemary and a heaped teaspoon of sweet paprika and a pinch of chilli, cook for a minute or two then start adding your chopped up vegies making sure to give them a good stir after each addition.

Once they're all added pour in water to cover, then add another 2 cups
Pop your chicken breasts in and bring to the boil

Turn the heat down once boiling and add a couple of handfuls of brown rice (a bit more than half a cup)

Continue cooking for another 45 min until the chicken is shreddable and the rice has broken down
10 min before the cooking finishes add a couple of handfuls of chard

Add more water if needed and remember to season well


Serve it with crispy bacon bits, spring onions, a decent drizzle of Nolan's Rd olive oil and Reggiano
I made enough for 15 people (as I usually do) so my friend Daniella got a home delivery and the rest is in our tummies.
My recipe (above) should make enough for 10? Give or take a bowl.











©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

photo of Wilco by Jemima Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment