Thursday, May 19, 2011

I scored at the market!


Our weekends are busy, to say the least, but all I need to get me through a crazy weekend is breakfast and a purr-chase at the Carriage Works markets.


This weekend I really scored, all from the same grower. Purple carrots, artichokes and heirloom tomatoes – BINGO!
So after music lessons, whilst the baby was sleeping I prepared us lunch(and later, a pre dinner snack) – in lieu of favours!
Toast with fomage D’Lapage cheese (Swiss raw milk cheese) and slices of tomato with purple carrots - YUM!
Which was also payment for my hand model, (Max and what perfect hands they are) his services were much needed so everyone could see how to, kind of, prep your artichokes. He wanted me to point out that he’s not cleaned and trimmed artichokes since last year so he was a little rusty.....









Forgiven. They tasted delicious!












SQUEEZE A LEMON INTO A BOWL OF WATER



I will talk you through this by my photos;
Or you can check out Jamie Oliver’s first book (that’s where Max learned)
READY TO BEGIN

CUT THEM IN HALF AND SCOOP OUT THE CHOKE - SEE PHOTO'S ABOVE 'ARTICHOKE'

Anyway once they were cleaned and bathing in lemon water, I began prepping my other ingredients

3 cloves of garlic

Crushed chilli or fresh

Olive oil

1 lemon

½ cup of wine

Torn basil leaves (which I didn’t have this time)

Simply fry off your garlic and chilli


Throw in your artichokes minus the water

Season with salt and pepper

In goes your wine – cook this off so the alcohol smell goes

Then another ½ cup of water

A squeeze of lemon


Bring to a simmer and cook for around 20 min till the artichokes are cooked through


To finish the rest of the lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and some torn basil
Super delicious on their own with some bread to mop up the juices or with brown rice


Hard work but so worth it and they are really good for you – even better!
Another thing that we can’t get enough of in our house at the moment is Kohlrabi.
You have probably seen it and thought what the hell is that! Well it’s kind of tastes like a radish mixed with an apple and Frank and I LOVE them!


Peeled with a knife and sliced, eaten raw. My dad also loves them, so it must be in the genes.
So today for lunch I had Roquefort on Kohlrabi and it was a match made in heaven!



























©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

1 comment:

  1. Those carrots are amazing!! The colour is sensational. We planted some artichokes in the garden yesterday at school. How was your sausage roll manicure I am sure your hands are as soft as silk after 4k of mince mixing.

    ReplyDelete