Sunday, January 16, 2011

A natural remedy for the whole family!


I'm doing Ginger tea because everyone I know loves it when I make it for them, and who doesn’t like a natural remedy for the whole family?!

Lemons & Ginger


and Manuka honey

Max and I start drinking this everytime there is a sniffle in our house, it along with my chicken soup, will pretty much cure any sickness that hits our house.


It’s incredible for a sore throat, either boiling hot or freezing cold – your choice.
Trust me when I say it’s addictive ! 


Ginger tea;
3 cm piece of Ginger peeled and sliced as thinly as possible, into your mug.
Lemon – as much or as little as you like, we have ¼ of a lemon squeezed into our mug.
1 or 2 teaspoons of Manuka honey – I have a serious sweet tooth so I like 2, but for Wilco I would only do ½.

Ginger sliced finely


Now the Manuka honey - I like alot


Honey in......

Pour over boiling water from the kettle and stir well and let sit for 5 minutes.

Lemon squeezed
Honey tea – Or what my kids think is honey tea!(not that Frankie likes honey-go figure!)
In a mug:
1 organic camomile tea bag, ½ the Ginger above, a squeeze of lemon and ½ teaspoon of honey. Again let sit until warm then transfer into a sippy cup or if you're naughty like me, a bottle (of course this is only for Wilco - the girls just have theirs in a mug).

My kids all LOVE this! When they’re feeling a little off or they have a sore throat, maybe they're a little hysterical, it's magic in making them feel better.

Icypoles ready for the freezer

I also make icy poles with the Ginger tea.

Pour the tea through a strainer into a pouring jug


Ready to start pouring

Just double or triple the Ginger tea and strain it after 5 – 10 min depending on how strong your kids will drink it (remembering the flavour dilutes when frozen). Let it come to room temp and then pour into icypole moulds and stick in the freezer.

Aerial shot
Poured and ready for the freezer
This makes about 6-8 icypoles
They are so handy for sore throats and teething babies. 

Manuka Honey is a special type of mono-floral honey which contains an ingredient with powerful antibacterial, anti microbial, antiviral, antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti fungal properties. It works wonders on sore throats and many other things, check my link.

Wilco LOVES them!!!
©Michelle Schoeps 2013
All photos taken by Michelle Schoeps

1 comment:

  1. Ready to wow your loved ones on your special occasions? Select from the wide assortment of one-of-a-kind freshly baked hand-made creations of adorable tastes and designs. Less sugar addition makes our Customized Cakes in Singapore, a healthy choice.

    ReplyDelete